Everyone sees your nails whether you are working, handing someone some papers or just eating out with a bunch of friends, they will see your nails! A lot of people struggle with yellow nails and yet it is stared upon. I struggle with this myself, but luckily only on my toe nails. My problem is that I keep my nail polish on for way too long, because who cares about your toe nails if they can’t see it.
- The most common cause of yellow nails are of course polishing your nails frequently. most people don’t know this, but your nails are supposed to breath. So keeping your nail polish on for too long can result in it turning yellow. Using nail polish that is red, yellow or orange can result in staining your nails and also leaving your nails yellow.
- Aging is a natural cause of yellow nails. Older people tend to have yellow nails, like my grandmother is always complaining about her yellow coloured nails.
- Smokers also tend to get yellow nails, because of the smoke.
- If you are sick, it would show in your nails. Sometimes yellow nails can also be caused by the lack of something in your body.
- Infections like fungus can cause yellow nails because they attack your nails. This would cause your nails to turn yellow, get yellow spots, get white spots or worst, turn black!
I saw a lot on the internet about using lemon and baking soda and I tried this and it worked, but I then realised that it tends to dry my nails and that could lead to unhealthy nails. I did some research and found that you could use camphor oil to tend to fungus, which is the main cause of yellow nails and so I have come up with this ritual for my nails.
- 1 Tsp Baking soda
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- 3 Drops Camphor oil (You could use coconut oil or olive oil as a substitute)
- A nail brush
- Mix the baking soda and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Dip the nail brush in the mixture and scrub your nails with it (make sure to get it under the nails too).
- Soak your nails in the juice for about 3 min (feel free to leave it a bit longer if your nails are really bad).
- Take out your nails and let it sit for 5 min.
- Wash your nails off with clean water and make sure to scrub out the baking soda under your nails.
- Dry your hands/feet and nails and rub the camphor oil onto your nails and watch your nails soak it up (no need to wash it off).
There you go! Enjoy your white nails. If it doesn’t clear up everything, you could do it daily untill you reach your goal.
Thank you so much for reading! Let me know if you enjoyed this and if you would like to see more like this.